Thursday, September 10, 2009

Meet the Missouri State Fair

Sorry for such a long delay in posts. I've got a ton of photos from my last weeks on the East Coast, plus a pile of weddings, but my last semester of grad school is underway and I'm still trying to figure out how to balance my time. Anyway, that's not why you're here. You're here for photos! And photos I've got.

Before classes started, I went to the Missouri State Fair with some fellow J-School nerds. I am a true-blood native Iowan and will defend the superiority of its state fair to the death, but the Missouri State Fair surprised me with its offerings and "quality" food. The only thing we couldn't find were deep-fried candy bars, but something tells me that was for the best.

I've been playing around with my Pentax K1000 and the various lenses I have for it. I must say, I'll always love film more than digital. I just like the way the pictures feel and the mechanical sounds of the camera when I use it. You just can't beat it.

Photobucket
Deep-fried cheese on a stick for $4. It was like a grilled cheese sandwich but without the pesky bread part. Worth every penny.

Photobucket
I went to my first-ever circus and it was both free and AWESOME.
To quote myself, "That was the best first circus EVER."

Photobucket
DUDE, she almost touched the top of the BIG TOP!

Photobucket
This is a picture of 1900 people setting the Guinness World Record for most simlutaneous soda-Mentos geysers. As my friend Chad said after witnessing the feat, "That makes me really proud to be a part of Missouri."

Photobucket
We took in a few pig races. In the final, music-themed round, our corner was assigned to cheer for Squealy Nelson and our pig won! (Photographer's note: this was taken in the "Hail Mary" position and I am quite proud of the results.)

Photobucket
Time to go home after a long and fulfilling day at the Missouri State Fair. (Don't worry, Iowa State Fair, you will always have my heart.)

1 comment:

August Kryger said...

Love the acrobat photo. Poetic and beautiful